Friday, March 18, 2011

Our Trailer and our Desire to Remodel it

Great to hear from you...

My trailer is 12 feet long
We are going to travel around Alaska... see what we can see...
We do not have much money, so we need to get out of the house on a budget.
We have never owned a trailer.. only camped in tents.. but with bears and moose up here.. we want to be a little more protected.. ya know?

I am not sure if we will be going to places with hookups or not...
We have propane tanks for our working stove and oven.. but when I tried to light the furnace, the whole thing caught on fire...
just blew it out.

There are some signs of water leaks on the ceiling.. , wood damaged...so, I thought of having to re-skin the thing.
No idea what would be involved.
I really, want to make this thing like new, or close to new.. as I love it!
But again, we are not very well blessed with huge amounts of money...

I only paid $500.00 for it... I guess that was ok price?

I have no idea if you will get this.

2 comments:

  1. I'm new to blogging. I posted this as a comment under your initial post and will copy/paste here.

    $500 is a great price!! Congrats on that!

    Unless the aluminum is really damaged, don't worry about replacing it. Carefully remove the interior wood panels that are damaged. Save them as best you can because you can use them for templates for the replacements.

    Once you remove those panels, you will be able to see the framework and determine which, if any, need to be replaced. If you do need to replace them, you will need to remove the skin (aluminum) to do so.

    I recently saw a blog that showed an extensive re-build. Let me go look for that, and I'll post the link for you here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found it!

    This person did EVERYTHING. You're most likely not going to need/want to go to that extent (to save money).

    The first trailer I worked on did need a few of the frame pieces replaced, but I was able to do them from the inside.

    Anyway... This site will give you some insight.

    Do you have pictures you can post? I'd love to see it.

    http://mobilesportsman.blogspot.com/

    Christian

    ReplyDelete